Wednesday, March 29, 2017

It's not all Golden

I am a home body, I love being home with my family.  However, my job requires that I travel which means that sometimes I miss out on the daily routine of our lives.  It goes without saying that I miss them all like crazy when I am away.  Currently I am in San Francisco California, I know what your thinking WOW your so lucky its so beautiful there.  I mean how could the place where they filmed the show Full House be anything but fantastic right?  Now I am not suggesting for a minute that there aren't some unbelievably nice things to see.  One of them being the iconic Golden Gate Bridge
I wish I could say that the picture above is how I will remember my trip to this city, but that's just not case.  Coming from Western New York as child and even an adult I was never truly exposed the concept of homelessness.  Sure I knew it existed but because I never fully experienced it never truly registered.  Fast forward to 2014 when our family relocated to Myrtle Beach SC.  We were exposed to homeless people on a bit larger scale and we would often stop and help when we were able to.  San Francisco however, has got to be the homeless person capital of the United States.  1,000's and 1000's of homeless people.  You cant walk down the street without encountering  someone that is in serious need of help. I walked 3 miles one night from my hotel and in that 3 miles I saw over 40 homeless people.  Tonight while I was out I decided to buy one of them some dinner.  I didn't ask him how he got where he was or what he was doing to better his circumstance.  Instead I asked him one simple question.  Are you hungry? He politely said yes sir I am very hungry.  I said I would like to give you this food. I hope you have a blessed night. 
This place has changed me and I wasn't expecting it.  I truly hope the next time you jump on social media to complain about how difficult your life is you stop and consider this.  I hope you have enjoyed this and God Bless. 




1 comment:

  1. Jason, When I was there (trying to find myself!! LOL!!) in 1978 I was amazed then at the number of homeless. I'm sure with the economic times are country has been through that is even truer today. I think the warmer climates, simply because someone can survive living outside, tends to have more homeless. It is a sad statement of our times. Bless you for giving a helping hand when you can. Everyone has "a story" and some stories are sadder than others. But, we are all people and we are in this together. Not turning a blind eye shows the compassion in your heart. You will teach your children through example and that is a blessing for sure. We need to have more compassionate people in the world.

    ReplyDelete